Getting the hang of handwriting, a handy group program
Designed for children 5-7 years experiencing handwriting or drawing difficulties at school. This program has been developed by our occupational therapists and uses evidence-based strategies to assist children in improving their overall handwriting skills. The play-based program integrates fine motor skills (coordination of the hand and finger muscles), gross motor skills (postural stability and endurance), sensory and perceptual skills (visually interpreting and remembering letter formations), cognition (attention, memory, problem-solving) and language skills, so children will have the hang of handwriting in no time.
Key skills targeted
- Core strength – for sitting up in their chair to write
- Shoulder stability – needed for good control of their hand position
- Postural control – including strength to maintain good posture and avoid slouching
- Hand and finger strength – for writing endurance
- Pencil control and grasp – to control movement and handwriting quality
- Dexterity – for writing quality and switching between writing tools
Date: 28 June-1 July 2021 (4 days)
Time: 9:30-11:30am (2hrs/day)
Location: Growing Early Minds, 217-219 Blacktown Road, Blacktown NSW 2148.
Places: Maximum 6 children
This program is eligible under NDIS funding, under the Improved Daily Living or Social and Community Participation categories.