Starting school is a big step, and the Ngallu Wal School Readiness program is about taking little steps to make the transition as smooth as possible.
The program is aimed at children starting kindergarten in 2020 and is facilitated by Growing Early Minds allied health professionals (speech-language pathologists, occupational therapists and psychologists). Each week is themed differently, and the activities focus on building and improving skills to help them have the best start to school. We’ll also give parents a handout on what we focused on that day, as well as some themed activities for home.
Last week, our theme was space, where we got to do lots of fun activities, including:
- Read a story about sharing
- Learnt to write our names in rockets
- Worked on gross motor skills by completing a space-themed obstacle course
- Used our fine motor skills with playdough to practice sharing and making planets
Here’s an activity you might like to try at home too!
DIY Moon Sand Recipe
- 4 cups of flour
- ½ cup of baby oil
- Mix together and enjoy your moon sand!
How you can work together with your child
- Count out each cup of flour and baby oil
- Talk about what it feels like
- Draw and cut out aliens to live in the sand
- Place cups, straws and spoons in the tub and build a rocket
Thinking about coming along? Here are the details:
Time 9:45am –11:15am (1.5hrs)
When Every Thursday (during school terms)
Location Ngallu Wal, 259 Kildare Rd, Doonside NSW 2767
Welcome All backgrounds and all abilities
Included Morning tea and parent handouts for further learning
Reminder Parents are required to supervise, as well as sign their child in and out of the centre
Register your child’s position in the program today
Free call 1800 642 558