School holidays for many parents can be quite a stressful time – trying to juggle the demands of work with making sure your children are looked after and having fun. For parents with children with additional needs, the search for holiday programs and care can be even more stressful.
Growing Early Minds identified this need amongst our families whereby they were wanting a structured multidisciplinary school holiday program suitable for children aged 5-10 years and eligible under NDIS funding. Out of this insight, a custom program was designed with input from our speech-language pathologists, occupational therapists, behaviour support practitioners, and paediatric dietitians.
The program was aptly named our ‘4-Day Intensive School Holiday Program’ and looked at the development of:
- Social skills – helping your child to make friends, engage in interactions with peers, develop sharing and turn taking skills.
- Emotional development – being able to talk about and understand their emotions and the emotions of others, conflict resolution and problem-solving skills.
- Communication and literacy skills – developing vocabulary around social and emotional development, increasing literacy skills based on your child’s current level and further encouraging language development through peer activities.
- Fine and gross motor skills – providing age-appropriate fine motor and coordination activities as well as targeting gross motor skills in team bonding activities.
- Healthy eating – your child will have the opportunity to make their own morning or afternoon tea to assist with independence and learning about healthy foods.
The program debuted in term one of the school holidays (15-18 April 2019) and the feedback has been overwhelmingly positive from everyone who attended. Families appreciated the small group setting and the ratio of allied health therapists to children as well as the feedback sessions with the families relating to their child’s individual development.
The term 2 school holiday program waitlist is now open. If you’re interested please complete the registration form here.